Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Fun Finds From The 1970's

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER: We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

I have another dachshund at my house....but this time, he only wants to hold the food, not eat the food! I found this a while back and had to have it! Not that he is particularly knock-out adorable....but well, it was just one of those things that had to come home with me!

I am sure this was made by a little lady back in the 70's when ceramics was so popular and all the rage. I may be wrong, he might of been manufactured by a company, but he has no markings and just looks to be homemade. Would you just look at those spots, who knew back in the 70's that dapple dogs would be all the rage in a few years!

I certainly will use this little guy to hold crackers or maybe olives at my next party. I am sure you are thinking that this is a little large for a olive tray....but if you knew my husband and son....they can eat "cans" of olives at a time. So with that in mind, this really is about the right size to accommodate those two olive loving guys! Did I mention I hate olives...can't stand them...just thought you might need to know that!

But I do love this sweet face, and the spots are a favorite of mine as well. This little guy sits on my window sill in my laundry room.... He keeps a good eye on Sophie, Dora and Bailey....reminds them who is boss....me!

And speaking of the 70's. I found this cup at Goodwill not long ago. No markings at all. But I distinctly remember my grandmother had kitchen items in this pattern. I know she had salt and pepper shakers, and a kitchen trivet. When I saw this pattern, I immediately thought of my sweet grandma and had to have this cup. I could not find this pattern on-line. I am thinking it came from Sears or Penny's or maybe even a grocery store. I just know it evoked warm memories of my grandma's kitchen and I am really enjoying my coffee in the mornings out of this mug...what better way to start the day!

Well, I usually don't find too many things to show from the 1970's but this was a rare moment that day and so I included these two on one post...even if it seems a bit random! Have a great weekend everyone and a wonderful Vintage Thingie Thursday....and guess what? The weather is warming up here and you know what that means??? Yard sales.....and treasures to be found!!! Can you tell I am excited?



45 comments:

  1. that dachshund is simply adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pup!! He could definitely hold something dog gone good!! lol!!

    I vaguely remember the pattern on that coffee cup. Looks 70's to me.

    Happy Wednesday, Suzanne

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dachshund is sweet. In the last picture, he looks like he is looking for a handout from somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne,
    I love the cup and all those pretty colors,and ooo,that puppy is just so cute. I love those pretty eyes and sweet face, Happy VTT..have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dachshund! And that mug reminds me of the 'spice of life' stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzanne!

    I bet you did a little happy dance when you found that cute cracker tray! It was meant to come home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah your little dog sits on the shelf in the laundry room and tells your "real" kids that he was once a real dog too. Until he didn't pay attention to his master, then some evil woman... Uh oh it is turning into a bedtime story. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are right about the dachshund being from "ceramics". I remember those spotty glazes were popular. He's a cutie tho.
    Yeah yard sale time is coming! Yah!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little doggie is too cute. Does your hubby and son prefer green or black olives? Another popular design on coffee cups back in the '70s was mushrooms. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cracker dish is perfect for you! I know he was sitting there waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love dachshunds! Love dapples! Oh, and I love olives too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute little dish and I also love olives! I think he wants to stay with you though so maybe crackers are better for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Doxie olive/cracker dish!! WE love olives here at my house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I thought I had seen all your dachshund babies, but I was not aware of this one. I think I have figured out the problem, you are dachshund crazy. At least this one will not tear things up or bark.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a very sweet ceramic puppy. Bet he was loved in the 70's just as much as you love him today. I've seen those glass mugs around too.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, such a sweet little doxie, all ready to do his duty and uphold the crackers or olives. Love the vibrant veggies on that mug too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your dachshund IS knock out adorable! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dachshund tray is perfect for olives! We eat tons of olives around here too. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That little Doxie dish is so cute! I haven't seen one like it. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dachshund piece is too cute! I can see why you grabbed that.
    Isn't it funny how a cup can evoke such good memories. I saw a canister set the other day that my Grandma used to have and it brought back so many memories.
    Thanks for hosting the party.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  21. That dapple dog is so cute. I love black olives, but can't eat too many or I get itchy. I hate mushrooms though which a lot of people think is strange. Been out of action on blogging lately. Trying to get back into it again. Right now I am trying to recover from a sinus infection. Finally starting to feel better tonight. Will stay home one more day and then perhaps go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A dog that wants to HOLD food and not EAT IT??? Very fun! My dogs would snap up hotdogs so quick it would make your head spin!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I took am hooked on dachshund items. I have a boot scraper, vintage plant holder, salt and pepper shakers, many statues and stuffed animals wieners, jewelry, plant decorations and one real live winner. I would have purchased that baby too if I had come across it!

    It is just wienerful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there! Great treasures and cute dish. My family LOVES olives too, they eat them right out the can if I don't move fast enough. :-) Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute cracker dish, he has such a sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Instead of olives, what about slices of sausage? Do you think they would be safe from this cute dachshund?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for hosting Suzanne.
    Did not link up as I am unable to visit all participants.
    Did put your link on my blog.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  28. AH you just can't resist those doxies can you, Suzanne? They insist on going home with you!
    I remember the design on the cup, but I confess I haven't seen any for eons.
    It's rainy & cold in Phx!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I 'dabbled' in ceramics in the 80's and remember this glaze. It had some type of particles in it that would make the spots. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The daschund is adorable! It will look great on your table!

    As for the cup the pattern looks like a variation of the Corelle pattern Spice of Life. A lot of companies made their own variations and you could find S&P and cream and sugars with them

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my goodness! That dachshund dish is absolutely amazing! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the pup! How cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I used to do ceramics but I didn't make an adorable dog like yours! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Too cute! I love when I come across random items(like you and your cup) that speak to my heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a darling little dog. I would serve olives in it. How cute

    ReplyDelete
  36. We have 3 dachies also. Heidi, an 8lb. longhair that rules the roost, Andy, a little old man red, 12 yrs. old, and Duke, a brindle, saved doggie. They are something else. The two boys like to stay outside but Miss Heidi follows every step in this house. She is never still. Aren't they sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  37. We had a little daschund, Edward and I always loved collecting "daschy" like things. Fun piece of pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Suzanne, I love the 'olive' dish. What a cutie and a fun treasure to find. I also remember the pattern on that cup. Lucky you to find a special memory of your grandma. My grandma had Fiesta dinner ware and I always think of her when I see it.

    My work on the bird quilt came to a stop while I take lessons on machine applique. All the birds are supposed to be machine appliqued. This winter has been so harsh with lots of snow that the quilt store has not been able to start the lessons. She will start it soon now that the weather has improved. This quilt is a challenge but I am not discouraged. I am sewing the background squares now. It takes hours, but it will all be worth it. I will share more as soon as I can.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  39. The dachshund is really cute. I like the cup as well, maybe from the 70s, I've seen that pattern a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I saved the best for last! Thanks so much for hosting this fabulous round up. I had so much fun, again, visiting all the great blogs. I saw some things that were truly amazing.Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  41. My Grandma had a trivet in that pattern. It was surrounded by a metal teapot shaped frame, and it hung on the wall above her fridge.

    When she took it down to dust it, you could still see the outline of it on the wall, it had hung there so long.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Goodness! That is the cutest dachshund dish!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (I had to stop by to say you made me chuckle when I read your comment on LV's latest sky watch post :o)
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the eyes on that pooch!

    It's a rainy Saturday, and I'm just now getting around to reading VTT's with a cup of coffee!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great idea to use the tray for crackers or olives! I will have to keep a lookout for a similar shape to use for the same thing.

    Had a ball at this week's VTT- But I'm just now getting around to commenting on everyone's post- Better late than never, right? Thanks so much for hosting and I'm looking forward to participating next week!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ever since my doxie, Chili came into my life, I've found other doxie related items starting to pop up, too. Funny what doggie love can make ya buy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...