Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: History in a Tin Box

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER: We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!

A few weeks ago, I went to an estate sale, and as I was browsing the kitchen for dishes that I might need...ahem.....I noticed this little box in the kitchen cabinet. I was a little surprised it was still sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to take notice. I noticed, and I immediately loved the colors in this tin box.......



The graphics were just too cute for words....I picked this up, turned it over, glanced at the price sticker that said $3.00, and thought, this is a good buy, the box is so cute....but when I opened the lid, my breath caught in my throat and my heart skipped a beat........Oh, my....was all I could think of.......

One quick glance was all it took for me to know this had to come home with me. I am sure you are thinking that this is just a regular ole' recipe box, but I am here to tell you, that for me, it was so much more....you see, the lady who owned this box DATED all the recipes she added to the box. I was giddy over this little fact, just giddy.

Most of the recipes even have the name of the person she received the recipe from......and again....dated! Oh, joy!

I can only imagine, that these candy recipes must have really impressed the original owner. They are from the same lady, and have the same date....maybe she went to a Christmas party, or a gathering of friends or family. Maybe it was a pot luck party, and this was a must have recipe by one of the owners friends...yes, I have a wild imagination.....but it is possible.... If you stop and look closely you can see that things do have a history and a story to tell, even if it a made up story in my mind.....just sayin'

I'd say by the title alone on this candy recipe that it must be good, and dated 1945 at that.

Some are typed on recipe cards, others hand written, the ones I paid extra attention to are the very discolored ones...that tells me that these were used often and must be good if they were used and stained a lot....funny, to judge something by that on thing...but that is just how I am. When I look in vintage cookbooks, I always pay close attention to the pages that are the most discolored....that tells me something on that page has been made often...don't ask how I know that to be true....but true it is..... ahem......

Look at this one, it is dated on the back 1942.....no mention of whom she might have gotten this recipe from, but look at the use of "4x #2 Cans".....honestly, I don't even know what a #2 can is.....but this recipe makes me want to figure out what they are......and look, the card is a bit dirty....remember that is a good thing.....to me!

Finally, in the back of the box was a package of recipe cards, unused. How cute are these? And look at the price....Oh, I was so glad to find this package of cards.....so cute!

I myself, can not imagine why the family did not keep this box, it is packed with history, names and obviously, well loved recipes. It is a treasure trove of goodness to me and I have had a grand time reading the recipes in this box. Makes me wonder about the owner, and about her friends she got the recipes from. Makes me wonder if she did a lot of entertaining or just loved to cook for her family. I tell you, I could spin a tale around this one little box. A tale of a cook who loved being in the kitchen, and who preserved the history of her recipes in a little tin box.

If you noticed the napkin the box is sitting on, that too came from the same sale. There was only one, and it was stained. So I brought it home, soaked it and it is good as new.....they sorta go together well.....at least I think they do!!!

Have a great week and a wonderful Vintage Thingie Thursday!!! I am looking for sunshine around here, I am tired of the cold and rain! Hope you have great spring like weather where every you are this weekend.



49 comments:

  1. Oh yummy!!! What fun to see and make recipes that were some other cook's favorites!

    I have been woefully absent from Vintage Thingies for weeks - - - maybe since it is spring break I will be able to come up with a post by tomorrow - - - no promises, just a good ole try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth dropped open when I started seeing all those recipes! HOW could a family throw away history like that! Shame on them! Thank goodness someone like you, who would appreciate how special those recipes are came along and found it! You found a goldmine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to browse through old recipes - so does my mom! Fun to wonder about the person who used to own that tin box, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I come across old photos or things such as the recipe box I always wonder why at least one family member isn't a "keeper". No way would I ever give up such a treasure.

    My mother had a recipe for Million Dollar Fudge. It is really, really good!

    A #2 can equals about 2 1/2 cups or 20 ounces. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divinity, Million Dollar Fudge, those bring me way back. As I remember, a number 2 can is 14.5-15 ounces. An average can of green beans. Love the box and the recipes. I love to find things like that and I have several. We should do some swapping. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that I made the first post again this week! After being such a clutz at the beginning, I'm beginning to get this blogging thing down. Love the recipe box. I can not imagine why anyone would get rid of their family members' memories. The only explanation would be there is no family left. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find, Suzanne!! I love interesting and personal finds like this that say so much about the owner. You got a fantastic deal too!!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The box is adorable! But the recipes are the true find! Peanut brittle, divinity? YUM-O!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow that is a great find! I can't wait to see the fudge and all those goodies on your table soon. Happy weekend!

    VTT~ Old Directory

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the recipes in your box are very interesting, especially because of the dates. My mother had a recipe box exactly like that. I must admit I didn't like it back then. I think it's a nice retro thingie now though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For someone that enjoys cooking as you do, you hit the jackpot with this find. To me, if there was a lady family member left, I cannot understand them not wanting to keep this box. We all should do as she did, date everything. That is an important issues in so many things now. Great VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Mom had a recipe box like that. I wonder if she still does or if it's gone. I love her recipes and I always tell her, they are mine when you are , er, a 'done' with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And note there are 20+ years of recipes at least - 1940's to 1965? And is that Micro-fudge recipe dated 1980? This lady is someone's grandma. With a sweet tooth perhaps. How sad the family did not keep this. I see the beginnings of a blog project, possible book and movie deal to follow (GRIN) - thinking of Julie and Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how lucky you are..That is an absolute treasure! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm drooling over that box, too, and I definitely think it coordinates well with the napkin! Glad you were able to get what you needed! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH WOW i totally feel your excitement, Suzanne!!

    What a sweet little treasure you've got there!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool find! I simply cannot imagine selling it off.

    Did you notice the billion dollar fudge has 'pet milk'? Umm...what is that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful find for you. I have my grandmother's and just seeing her handwriting makes me feel like she is in the room. It is like a history of her. I can't imagine why anyone would get rid of that either. Go figure? Lucky for us some do though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome find! A real jackpot treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a precious recipe box! I love imagining the stories behind things like this. Have fun trying out some of her tried and true recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite thing is the packet of cards! I've been hunting for some and can't find any. I too, love old, used looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great find. I know you will enjoy many hours trying these receipes. Happy VTT
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the graphics and colors on the recipe box!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How sad that a family didn't see the value in this...but how lucky for you! I love the 1950's look and it goes great with the napkin. Very, very nice. I think you need to share a recipe from that file with us every week...

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a treasury and all for $3.00! One of the main reasons that I collect vintage is the mystery of the history that lies within each piece. (I didn't mean to rhyme, so that was a bonus...) So glad I found your blog today - I'll have to join you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look a lot like those my MIL had. You must blog the vintage recipe results for VTT whenever you try one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great find! The colors and graphics alone would have sold me on it but to have the recipes and have them dated, wow. And I agree with you about the best loved recipes being discolored, bent etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that is just perfect - the box, unused recipe cards, and all of those interesting vintage recipes! What a lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm with you, I can't imagine a family not wanting to keep this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Let's hope the family had received hand-written copies of all their favourite recipes and just didn't understand the value of the originals. This grandmother sounds like one who could have done that, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Suzanne, can you imagine the scolding or the look of "you gotta be kidding" if hubby really knew how many times we do a just in case round to the dish zone/area/aisle/opportunity?!! lol

    love that little tin!!

    I'm sharing a sweet post from earlier this week for your enjoyment:

    http://tuckedintohim.blogspot.com/2010/03/repurposing-old-recipe-cards.html

    this sweet mamma glued them to her kitchen entrance because they are g'ma's cards...too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's super cute! You gave me the inspiration for my VTT today.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good Morning Suzanne,
    That recipe box, complete with little napkin and recipes is a most excellent find! I think it is awesome the lady dated her recipes along with the cook's name. You have got to try that million dollar fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great find. I always head to the kitchen first looking for cook books and vintage recipe boxes. These sell great on eBay. I know you will keep yours but eBay can be a great place to find more vintage recipe boxes.
    And that they are dated is wonderful. Great part of family history, sad to see someone parts with these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  35. love the vintage colors in that box....
    i'm thrilled to be part of vtt this week!
    long time no see~

    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your vintage tin recipe boxes and all of the recipes too. What a treasure. It must be so much fun going through all of those recipes and thinking about the women who wrote them. That's one reason I love vintage items so much, for the sense of connection to others.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a treasure! Suzanne, I'm so glad that you were there to appreciate it.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Suzanne - Normally I post so early and of course today I'm even using my retro tuesday post for VTT but.. the thing is that purse giveaway I had last week? I waited till today to tell the winner because its you!

    LOL! And I thought Id make a big post and a big announcement and than today just spiraled into a big mess here...and I hope you do read this :) and email me your address to mom at crazysuburbanmom dot com so I can send it to you cause I think you will love it... and you said your birthday was close too ... a few days after mine i think !

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a treasure indeed! I'm so surprised the family did not keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That sure is history in a tin box. Great post. I ahve a couple recipe tins that were passed along to me. Thanks for the reminder to get those out and browse thru them again :)

    Blessings and thanks for hosting each week!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ohh, this is a treasure trove of recipes...and a great buy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a find! I'm so surprised the family didn't want to keep that- Their loss is your thrifty gain! Enjoy the recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a treasure you found! I just can't imagine that the family didn't fight over this!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, what a lovely find! I collect vintage recipe boxes. How wonderful to find it full of so many yummy memories too!

    Have a beautiful weekend! I'm fixing to join your party in a moment. Thank you so much for hosting.

    : )

    Julie m.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lucky you! I too am drawn to the recipe cards/ books that are worn and even smudged with food bits-- those are the best recipes!
    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, WHAT a FIND!! Enjoy the recipes, their history, and the tales your imagination conjures up surrounding them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. That recipe box is indeed a treasure -- it's like a time capsule of someone's life. I feel badly that the family didn't keep it, just like I feel badly when I find old hand made linens --- but then, I guess everyone can't keep everything!

    I have my mother's old recipe box-- same size, different graphics -- and it looks exactly the same -- jammed full of recipes, many dated, many with the names of whomever gave her the recipe -- and I treasure it! And yes, the grubby recipe cards are the ones you want to reproduce -- they are the best.

    Thanks for hosting!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  48. Those are absolutely the very coolest!

    What an incredible treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I loved your recipe box,the recipes and the napkin. We judge old recipes the same way..I love vintage recipes and cookbooks, and always,always..the discolored pages have the best recipes. My favorite cookbooks are the same way tho, and someday when someone new owns mine..they too will find discolored pages,where I spattered or had something on my hand. Our rewcipes do tell stories if only we will listen..

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...