Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Vintage Green and Gold Dishes

Welcome to this weeks segment of Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone. If you are visiting and would like to join us, please do. It is very easy!
To participate, all you have to do is:

* * * * Please everyone, follow these guidelines!

(1) do a post about something vintage.
(2) Visit all the participates and leave a comment.
(3) Link in with the link at the bottom of this post, please use a perma-link to link in with, that way, anyone can refer back to your post if they can not get to it on Thursday.
(4) Be sure to refer back to my blog so everyone can see who is participating today, and if you like include the VTT button in your post. Please be sure to have your post up before linking in.

REMINDER: We have several new friends linking in for Vintage Thingie Thursday. I want to remind everyone that the link for VTT goes up on Wednesday evening and will run through Friday morning (early) then the link will be closed. I know it is hard to get in the habit of posting earlier than later, but try and get your link in before early Friday morning. I have to close the link to keep spam out of the link. Thanks!! And I know Wednesday is not Thursday, here...but it is Thursday for our friends who live on the other side of the globe!!


Well, I am sure this week all over blog land will be lots of green for St. Patrick's Day. I decided to join in on the green celebration...just a bit. Now, don't worry about me being etiquette correct with the table setting....I am not that serious....this was just for fun. Remember, I warned you ahead of time that etiquette was tossed out the window.....

I have a mismatched table grouping that was found and purchased over the course of this last year. The very first purchase were these glasses. I spotted them and thought, "how retro looking"...and almost passed them up. I gave mere pennies for a set of six, and they have been stored for about 8 months.....until I found these dishes.

This is a very mismatched set of dishes from Goodwill. I have six dinner plates, six salad plates, four mismatched bowls, and four large soup bowls. They were sold all as a set for about $8.00. And well, since you all know that I have NO dishes, I had to have these. Well, at least I can say that I did not have any dishes in my cupboards that had green in them. And to my surprise, I discovered they matched the earlier purchased glasses pretty well. I love it when that happens...when you don't plan for something to work so well together, it just sort of happens.

If you look closely, you will discover that the bowl is a bit different than the rest of the dishes, two of the bowls are just like this, the other two match the set. Interesting.....

I displayed the table setting with some of my creamers...the ones that have green in them or remind me of the Irish. I am sure you are thinking who sets a table this way? Well, I did, just because I liked it. I am thinking that if I was serving guests...I might have went a different route...maybe not.

Another creamer.....this one is going to be used at a Vintage Bridal Shower I am hosting in about a month...I can not wait to share that with you in the days to come.....

Of course, I have a platter with green and gold......I had to throw this in for good measure......it randomly looks like it might belong with the setting, randomly that is, and I would use this one if I were serving guest.....really.

Here is a single shot of one of the dinner plates......look at the detail on the edging.....love.

Here is the one and only mark on the plate....by Alfred Meakin.....known maker for wonderful ironstone.

Here is one of the odd ball bowls, I love the design and edging on this too......

And here is the marking of the two bowls. It's funny how they really don't match, but go together so well anyway....at least to me they do....I like them. And just so clarify, I am pretty sure the Meakin in these marks are the same company, just a different name as to the date they were produced.

And just because Easter is just around the corner, and it's green....a little bunny sweetness. I found this last week at Goodwill....a mere $2.00. Not a scratch on it......and I just love it. The lettuce plate is separate from the lettuce head and lid. I am not sure what is was intended to be used for. However, I think I might use it to store candy eggs in when it gets closer to Easter.

Have a great Vintage Thingie Thursday everyone, I hope you are enjoying the Spring weather in your neck of the woods! If it would stop raining here, I'd like it a little better.


50 comments:

  1. I love the mismatched plates, bowls and glasses! Sometimes whenever everything matches, it starts to get (yawn) boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing for sure, you can use a different plate for every meal. I am sure Steve wonders what are we eating off tonight. My favorite is the little creamer. Trust you found the "yellow" in case you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these plates are charming. How fortunate that you found enough to use for a set at the table. They really go with everything.
    The little bunny tureen is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cheerful, springy table, Suzanne. I love your dishes, and those glasses are awesome! I wonder where you store all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun green set! I love the glasses. I buy retro ones whenever I see them cheap!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of your green! Beautiful table setting.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green and gold dishes are nice, but my favorite is the bunny & lettuce dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I just love them! I think they go together perfectly. I adore having a little of this, a little of that. I'm glad to have found your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne..I want to go shopping with you. You find the neatest things ever. I just love the dishes and the glasses..and those little bunnies are just the sweetest.
    Will you do something for me. I'm having an apron giveaway..and I was gonna put it in when I signed in here. I meant to say..CC, Vogart patterns and an Apron Giveaway..can you go in there and add that for me?? I just forgot to do it..a big hug and thank you.. CC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Suzanne,
    Your table looks wonderful and so festive! It is a fun table for St. Patrick's Day.
    Thanks for hosting VTT once again.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great finds Suzanne! I love mixing it up too. My faves are your platter and the bunny dish. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the bunnies in the lettuce! that is the best. I wonder if it was made to hold candy. Definitely a good use for it. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the detailed edging on the plates and being one who collects pottery shards, I am especially fond of the maker's mark that reads "sunshine", what a great find! Happy St. Patty's Day (and VTT) to ya and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is so pretty, and I think the eclectic mix is so much more interesting. Those glasses? Love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have given you a “Sunshine Award” and linked to your blog in my latest post at the http://vintagepostcardsrevisited.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-received-sunshine-award-i-need-some.html. You can pick up your award there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bunny piece is my favorite- It makes a great centerpiece for Spring... And quite a deal for $2!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Personally I am an irregular person and I love these mismatched bowls and plates - I think they look awesome together. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen some really Fancy GreenTablescapes this week, and not a one is as Lucky Charming as yours. I certainly do like the platter and the creamer, too! Thanks for all you do for VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THese dishes are beautiful together. I love them. I wish we had a good will like yours around here. You always find great stuff. Maybe it's just your talent, not the store. Happy St. Patricks day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Suzanne!

    I am a big "mix & Match" kinda gal so, I love this setting! Everything looks so sweet. and that bunny tureen...Wow what a great find and bargain!! That little tureen would have hopped right into my basket at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely set of green dishes for a green day! I'm not posting today, but will see through the links when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the rabbit. Simply gorgeous.

    I did a mismatched vintage teaset for my sister once. I like the random nature of mismatched china.

    Your finds are beautiful and your table looks classy yet eclectic. Not many people can pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all of it. I especially love the glasses, they are oh so swanky :) thanks for hosting another fabulous VTT.

    -brightest blessings-
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love those glasses! Maybe they were meant to compliment but ... I just love retro glassware - I've gotten some and noticed that the designs are thickly put on. They will not scratch off and much of it is glossy, not matte like now. and I love that. The color is brilliant after 50 years...

    I know this was about the table setting, hope you forgive me for being jazzed about the glasses

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  25. They DO match so nicely! And, I love the creamers on the table, too! I got this info from Wikipedia:

    "J & G Meakin had close family and corporate affiliations to the pottery Johnson Brothers, and Alfred Meakin, which explains why many patterns are similar, if not almost exactly the same."

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those glasses are so much fun; the leaves perfectly match my kitchen walls! Just a teeny bit envious here! ;-)
    This is the first VTT I've participated in, but I've been following for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the green edged plates!!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You totally inspired me. I want to do this for St Patrick's day next year. My daughter would love such a beautiful green table setting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super for St. Paddy's Day week! Love the bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Suzanne,
    Great set of dishes. They look like they were made for each other. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Sherrie's Stuff
    http://sherrie-plummer.blogspot.com/2010/03/vintage-thingies-thursday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love mismatched! The lettuce bunnies are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the glass and the dish with the bunnies is just TOO cute!

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Suzanne! Thanks for hosting another "Vintage Thingie Thursday". Love that title! I think your dishes are perfectly charming and work well together. That cabbage bowl with the bunnies on top is just too cute. What a great find and wow, what a great price!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love all of your wonderful vintage dishware and I think using mis-matched dishes always makes for a lovely table setting! And I love your sweet little covered bunny dish, what a find!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those plates are fabulous! And that bunny and cabage dish $2! Wow! So cute! Great for Easter and St. Patty's day! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Green is one of my favorite colors! I love your plates from Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your green-accented dishes and glasses work very well together!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fun spring table, the leaf dish is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful pieces Suzanne and all of that gorgeous green. I was out and about yesterday and forgot what day it was. I'm sure I didn't wear green. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think the set is absolutely beautiful; doesn't matter if everything doesn't match perfectly.

    And I love the lettuce pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fun mismatched table. I like it better than matchy-matchy.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Suzanne,

    What pretty dishes for St. Pat's day. Pretty table setting! Have a great weekend. Happy VTT!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi there, your oddball bowl is gorgeous! What a find :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think what I like best is that they don't match! Very Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a fabulous table you set!!! I love doing the mix and match thing myself.

    Been so busy watching basketball all day that I nearly forgot to post and visit!

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  46. what a unique set of dishes!!! you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a gorgeous collection you've made. I love how the cabbage-bunnies are integrated - not easy to do.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...