Monday, July 20, 2009

Blue Monday : Thrifted Nightstand Makeover


It's Monday already, and a Blue Monday over at Smiling Sally's blog. Sally host Blue Monday every week, and this week, I have something to show you!

My daughter, Alisha who is off at college, recently moved into a new apartment. She needed a nightstand to put by her bed, and we could not find anything she really liked for a price I was willing to pay. I suggested my go-to place to have a look around and see if we could find something...you know the place....Goodwill.

Here is the cute little table which was a Goodwill find. This matches her room perfectly, and is in great, solid shape. Look closely, there is blue on the top of the table. Isn't it so nice to find the perfect thing when you are looking for it? Now, do you think we purchased this in this condition?

There is lots of blue in Alisha's room, the comforters and curtains are a light, ice blue. I think it is a very calming color for a bedroom. One more glance of the cute little table.....now, let me show you how it all started.

Not so pretty table found at Goodwill. This was the only one we found that might work. I convinced my daughter we needed to get this table, and not to worry, it would be adorable when I was finished with it. I think she might have been worried.

The table was painted black when we bought it, dirty, and here is a look at the top, which was not bad if you like looking at something that reminds me of school desk tops from my youth. I don't think Alisha was to keen on this idea.

Nice retro drawer pull. Nothing too cute about faded gold on a drawer pull. I was not concerned at all, after all I had spray paint to take care of this problem.

First, I sanded the table and drawer with medium grit sandpaper. Then wiped clean. Using some spray primer, I gave the table a good coat of spray primer.

I did not spray the tabletop, only the table itself. We purchased some oops paint in a chocolate brown from Home Depot. Great deal on a gallon of paint, only $5.00.

Here is the table once the paint dried. Two coats of paint was all this little table needed.

Sophie stopped to pose. She knows when the camera comes out, if she poses sweetly, she may get a treat or two. She decided not to waste the opportunity, and stopped to pose. Sophie would like to ask the good people if they see how the color of the table matches the velvety brown color of her eyes?

Now, it was time to tackle the top. Using scrapbook paper, Mod Podge, and a paint brush, I Mod Podged the top of the table to match Alisha's room.

Even the drawer got a little glam. This is such a super easy project, and turns ordinary finds into something really cute and functional and very inexpensive.

Here is another view of the top. I did a collage on top of the table, and I like the way it turned out. I put three coats of Mod Podge on the top and side of the table top to seal it well.

I was glad to see the old school desk top disappear. Don't you think the new top looks much better than this old wood grain look?

Here is another close-up of the table. You can see the light blue in this photo much clearer. If you look closely, you will see the cute little blue birds.

A little left over Rustoleum paint we had on hand changed the way the knob looked too. Now it does not have the Asian flare, and looks much better after I covered up the tarnished gold knob.

Here is the table in Alisha's new room. You will not believe the cost of this particular project.

Table: $7.00 at Goodwill....but I had a $10.00 coupon so the table did not cost us anything.
Paint: $5.00 at Home Depot - used oops paint.
Scrapbook paper: - $2.38 from Michaels

I had everything else on hand at home for this project. Not bad for $7.38. It is amazing what you can do with a little imagination and a little elbow grease.

Here is another shot of Alisha's room. My mom bought the shelving unit for Alisha for Christmas a few years back, she has saved it and we just now put it together. It really is cute and matches the table really well. If you will notice, the curtains are a teal blue. There is also a blue bear on the shelf, and the upper right corner is a glimpse of a blue wall hanging.

I hope you enjoyed this little makeover project. Remember next time you see a not so cute furniture piece and it is structurally sound, just think of all the possibilities of turning it into a real treasure.

Have a great Blue Monday everyone!

33 comments:

  1. Dear Suzanne.

    I agreed with you. The cute table really matches her bedroom. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great makeover-I really like what you did to the top of this piece!

    How in the world did you get a 10 coupon from Goodwill- I never knew them to give out coupons-

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hardly even looks like the same table! I think I'd be a lot more inclined to do things like that if I had a nice big open space to spraypaint things in. I've decided that a tiny little mostly enclosed balcony isn't the best way to go about that *L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Suzanne, You did a wonderful job re-doing the dresser. It looks so nice in your daughters bedroom. What a great deal you got. I'll bet you got lot's of hugs from your daughter. I would love to have a pretty little table like that in my room. Happy Blue Monday! I hope you have a lovely day :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Suzanne! It looks wonderful! It really doesn't look like the same table, bet your daughter is thrilled. LOL at Sophie posing for treats :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job on renovating this little bedside table! I love finding old odds and ends of furniture at Goodwill Industries and turning them into beautiful treasures! It feels like such a great accomplishment, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative...I've never heard of oops paint before...will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great!! goodwill makes you never want to pay retail for anything!! great job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne my dear...What a great up-cycle project! I'm sure she will get lots of compliments on that one! Also congrats to all the winners (I love it weiners) of your giveaway! Looks like there are lots of weiners here! Happy blue to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turned out so cute!!! Now why didn't you put that on my Friday meme??? Such talent! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing with a can of spray paint and some BLUE scrapbooking paper! Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool, I be all her college friends love it!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice project! I bet your daughter is thrilled with it now. I'm curious about the coupon from Goodwill - how did that come about? Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. For all who have asked about the coupon...Goodwill has stamp cards and for each 10.00 you spend they will stamp the card. Once the card is full, you get $10.00 off your next purchase.

    You will have to ask for the stamp cards, they don't usually ask if you want one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job!
    I love the makeover you gave the little table! And you certainly can't beat the price!
    Happy Blue Monday!
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for stopping by and love how it all turned out for you it looks terrific

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU are just too much! Wow! What a neat job you did. Good story, good pictures,good BLUE MONDAY. Thanks for dropping by my blog today and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The table is perfect and I love her headboard!

    Have to love that you had everything on hand too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job!

    I have a Mod Podge question: when using it on a table top, do you ever find that it feels tacky in humid weather? I'm not sure if Mod Podge was used on the table I am thinking of or not, but glasses and such seem to stick in humid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Suzanne,
    How neat that you have a matching platter! The back of these plates say

    DERWOOD
    W.S. GEORGE
    134A

    I'm not sure about the 3, it could be an 8 or a 9!

    Hope you find some to add to your collection. These 2 are all I have.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  21. You beat all when it comes to making something out of nothing. Job well done! Alisha's room looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an impressive makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The table makeover turned out great.

    I love what you did to the table top.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute transformation, I'm sure your daughter is thrilled!! It's a perfect fit for the rest of the decor in the room!

    Btw, I wasn't aware that Goodwill had coupon deals!! Is this something new they are doing?? I haven't been there for awhile.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Sherri:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, Happy Blue Monday! Beautiful blue post, cute little table and great redo! thank you for sharing! Have a great week.
    Bless you, Shirl
    Shirls Rose Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great! This is pretty much the same thing I did to our headboard, but with pages I cut out of some of my favorite books and had stained with coffee to look old. Okay, that sounds weird, but it's cool! I swear! My point is...I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for coming by my blog.I love how you took something so simple and turned it into a delightful table,very creative and your D-bedroom is very charming.Happy blue day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love my room!! and my side table!! you did a great job, i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE this! If you like Mod Podge, stop by my blog. I think you'll have a great time.

    What FANTABULOUS re-do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That table is awesome! I never would have picked it out or seen the potential. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. it looks perfect in there!!! You did a wonderful job...I like the top!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh how I love Modge Podge! You did a fabulous job on this table makover, and you can't get any better than that price! I bet Alisha was thrilled with the final result. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Your table turned out awesome! Just found your blog and am enjoying it! Patti

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...