Friday, July 10, 2009

Beginner Quilting Class: Second To The Last Class

This week, we have two different blocks to sew together and have completed by next week. I will talk about that, and tell you a funny story at the end of this post...at least I think it is hilarious.

Here are the log cabin blocks. I have thought all along that these would be the most difficult. I really dreaded making them, as I was for sure that I was going to run into lots of problems.

I am happy to say, that rang true for the whole class except myself...well, for the most part that is. I may have had a heck of a time with the darn pressing at the beginning, but I felt pretty good about myself that I grasped this block pretty quick.

There is just one problem. Leo said to sew a "scant 1/4 seam" and well, since I don't have a machine that will move the needle over for me, I had to try and eyeball it.....as you can see there is just one small problem. The block is supposed to be 6 inches and well, my "scant" has caused this block to be a bit over sized. What to do?

I am going to drive to the quilt shop in the morning and ask one of these knowledgeable men what I need to do, I am really hoping I do not have to remake all of these blocks. It took me all day Thursday, and I still don't have the other blocks sewn yet. But at the risk of messing the whole project up, I best find out from Leo what I need to do. I can already hear it....if I had a Bernina.....this would correct my problem....yadda-yadda-yadda!

I know there are some experts here reading this....what are your thoughts? Start over? Can they be salvaged?

I did manage to sew one of the Friendship Star blocks together. I just love the colors in this block.

See, here is the rest of my homework for the week....that is if I am not remaking the Log Cabin blocks. Time constraints are a tail kicker for me....I will be glad when I am not so stressed over finishing things by the next class and trying to do all of this and work at the same time!

Now, speaking about that Bernina machine. Remember me telling you about the little old lady who just purchased her new machine? She let Leo talk her into buying that Bernina 440 quilting machine, promising she would see wonderful results and a real difference in her sewing....really, I heard all of this myself. Well this was the first time she had it in class....Bless her heart, she was sewing her blocks backwards, and all wrong all day....she was so frustrated, I really felt so sorry for her. She would sew, and then have to rip out....sew, then rip out.....I think I would have just called it a day....

The owner of the shop was sitting by me, and Leo was out of the room.....she just all of a sudden, very loudly announced "Well, me buying this high dollar machine has done me little good! I am not doing any better with this $3ooo.oo machine than I did with my $100.00 machine." Then she tossed her block on the floor and said, "Well, how do you like that.....do you offer refunds?"

If I tell you I just about fell out of my chair, that is an understatement....not at her frustration, but at her testimonial over the sewing machine.....I turned to the owner and said, "Well, I bet this is not the kind of testimonials you are looking for here at all, is it?"
He just about turned twenty shades of red and stuttered, "indeed it is not!" Poor guy had no idea what to say. I just chuckled and kept right on sewing on my $75.00 estate sale machine....Bless its little heart, it sews like a heart of a lion!!

I really hope that little lady works through her frustrations, I felt so sad for her, but it was so funny at what she had said about the machine. It just was not her day...and that can be a headache in itself.

Well, I am thinking next week, we will put the blocks together, as these are the last of the blocks for the quilt, then we have to put the borders on. My main border is the flowers outer blue fabric in the Log Cabin block. I am really ready to see the end results.

Oh, and in case you are wondering about the desserts, I took my Strawberry Shortcake Pie, and Leo made Plantain Bananas, Black beans and some type of little breads stuffed with mozzarella cheese....it was heavenly. This class better end soon, I am starting to enjoy this dessert business....please...don't repeat that...OK?

20 comments:

  1. your log cabin quilts look stunning..love the colours!!..if you just trim evenly around all four sides i think the block will work out fine!!..i love the friendship block too..your quilts gonna look fabulous when it's finished, Suzanne!..i really think you're doing just fine on your sewing machine..i can sense the frustration of that poor lady in your class, ssoo unfair!..happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From an experienced quilter[I allow NO quilt police in my life]no you do not have to redo these blocks, nor do you even have to trim them,it will be fine as long as you keep the same seam allowance for the rest of the quilt. Then next time either see if you can buy a 1/4" foot for your estate sale treasure, or simply line up a piece of masking tape 1/4" to the rt. of your needle & in future always use this to line up your fabric edge.
    PS. very few quilters sew an exact 1/4" seam, lol.Don't let Leo[or anyone else] tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same advice as Roslyn! No need to move the needle to make pretty 1/4" seams. You can even get a magnetic seam guide if it helps you line things up better than a piece of masking tape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Ros and Mub...your star blocks look fine too-look at the points of the stars-do you see that you have about 1/4" of fabric after the point-that's all you need so you're points won't be cut off alot, a little is ok-- it still looks like a star.

    I love your log cabin blocks-one of my favorite patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were going to tell how that lady offered you the $3,000.00 machine for a tiny amount.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the little story you added - very funny! I BET he was speechless - what could you say? Thanks for the chuckle! Oh - and thanks for the goodies I received in the mail yesterday!!! ADORABLE!!! I will post about it soon!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you are really into this quilting, but will be glad when it is over. Perhaps your life will get back to halfway normalcy. My question what is normal anymore? May today be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do feel bad for the lady and I dont think you have to have a fancy machine, but it really sounds like its her, NOT the machine. Her comment that she is not doing any better or her sewing them wrong is certainly not the machines fault. There are features on a new machine that do make life somewhat easier, but no they are not necessary. Until I killed it my 1950s singer sewed many quilts. Sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Rosyln, Mub and Miri don't rip the blocks apart. this happens to all of us at one time or another. Just remember the first quit is always the hardest and the one we learn the most from and probably the most frustrating. I love the friendship stars colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! That is a beauty. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will certainly miss your Friday reports on your quilting class. I agree it is not necessary to redo the log cabin blocks; but before trimming them, I would wait until you are ready to set the whole quilt together. Then you will have a better idea of if/or how much they are off. I feel that woman's frustration, but I bet the machine (either her old or new one) is only part of the problem. Some people really are not able to deal with the tediousness of quilting. Looks like you are doing great, however. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see the completed quilt. Your quilting trials and tribulations have finally got me to enroll in a class. Won't start until Sept. and we will start with a nine patch lap quilt. Better get busy and clear up a lot of other projects...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the others. Don't do anything to the blocks until you get all the blocks finished. That way you can see the size of all of them. Some have a way of "growing" more than others.

    As for the 1/4" seam allownace put your needle down...measure a 1/4" or scant 1/4" form your needle...layeron top of each other a few strips of masking tape then sit it on your 1/4" line on the machine...you can then run the block edge (when you are piecing) along the masking tape pile as a guide. Nothing fancy.
    Hope this helps.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good. I agree, it was not the machine, it was her that was messing things up. You have gotten some good suggestions for maintaining your scant 1/4" seam. Looking forward to seeing the full finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I was the only one with an older machine and a piece of masking tape showing me 1/4". Roslyn has it right....and !!!! Just remember, this is your quilt,done your way. The colors and patterns are wonderful and your work is lovely. Just remember..to sew some love in that quilt.. :).
    Happy quilting..

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be such a pretty quilt! I'm not a quilter, but I can sure tell those patterns, those colors are going to look spectacular in your quilt! Now, if that lady finds a machine that will fix my mistakes before I make them, I'll pay a bunch of money for that! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks perfect to my sewing/quilting challenged eyes!!! I think it will be wonderful either way perfect or not!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Suzanne. Masking tape, moleskin, magnets, they all work. I've used masking tape myself and I used that on my daughter's machine and she got the hang of the 1/4 inch very quickly. You're almost there! Lane

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are doing a great job--the colors are so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is making me want to grab my machine out of the closet and then head to the fabric store...but I'm gonna stop myself! Alas, I cannot sew a straight line to save my life!

    Hope you continue to enjoy your sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...